Monday 27 February 2012

..I'M LEARNING TO FLY.......

       I'm learning to fly , but I ain't got wings.....
       Coming down is the hardest thing .



..........and as part of the Strategies Of Thought lectures on the MA course , we were introduced to the works of Wittgenstein . What I hadn't realised was that his education had started in Manchester , where he had enrolled to study aeronautics at the University......and ended up flying Cody kites off Glossop Moor , where he lodged in the Grouse pub , well known to anyone who goes walking up there.

And flying , or rather the lack of ability to do so , reminded me of a book that I had come across sometime ago , with the most wonderful illustrations........
.......The  ' Teach Your Chicken To Fly Training Manual ' - superb hand drawn anatomically correct plans and sections of chickens set out as faux technical drawings , all bolted onto a text written in the style of a training manual . Bizarre , and totally within its own little world . I have no idea what size the original artworks were , but I am guessing A2 . Wonderful.

....and maybe one day I will get to this standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment