Sunday 12 June 2011

...OFF THE WALL.......

well ok , a painting that's a bit off the wall , about a wall - or walls - and , hopefully , to be hung on a wall shortly.......


I have finally managed to finish the painting that I am going to enter for the Derbyshire Open art event in Buxton . Entitled  " Landscape series 01/02 : Mary's Grandfather Demonstrates How to Build a Dry-Stone Wall " , it's based on photographs of Mary's paternal  grandfather building dry stone walls in and around Chelmorton , just outside Buxton. Technically its not brilliant and in retrospect there are other ways I would have chosen to do various things ; artistically it's fine and hangs together well as a compostion ; narratively I am really pleased with it , so some positive thoughts there and some negative . I have no idea what the judging panel will think of it , and no idea whether it will be selected for the exhibition . Its basically oil over a photomontage , and it sort of grew - I had no real idea of what it would look like when I started it ; overall I am fairly happy with it , might fine tune it a bit . It gets handed in on Friday 10th June , so we'll see..............and no, the canvases don't slope - I photographed at the last moment.

If it's not selected , at least it gives me a chance to completely re-vamp for next year....................

No comments:

Post a Comment