Sunday 13 February 2011

........EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY..................


' Working on mysteries without any clues '.....

......Having spent most of my life developing my skill at visuals , I have occasionally tried watercolours , purely for relaxation . Relaxation ?  it is a lot harder medium to work with than markers , and I never have been too happy with the results , some of which can be seen on my web-site. Last year I thought I might have a go at oils, which then developed into mixed media. But the subject matter............hhmmmm.


    ' Works In Progress - towards buildings as narrative '
Buildings are recorded history , architectural plans and drawings are information data banks , blueprints for the past present and alternative futures , maybe even alternative pasts, all waiting to be decoded. The watercolours are recordings of buildings that have interested me ; the oils and mixed media works are very much exploratory , works in progress as I work towards a method of visually establishing alternative histories for building that may - or may not - have happened.

Reading buildings - mysteries, clues, plans - and visualising them will form the basis  as I take up an
MA course at Manchester Metropolitan University this coming September : investigating and proposing alternative histories and futures for three or four buildings in the city centre - buildings that will have other lives....

........and in the meantime , the works in progress are on show in the Longden gallery in Macclesfield , from February 27th through until March 26th this year . Given that this is the first time that I have actually exhibited since the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham in 1967 it should be fun ....and most of the works on show , both watercolours and mixed media , are pictured in the portfolio section in my web-site

" The more enlightened a building becomes , the more its walls ooze ghosts "  

      Italo Calvino


No comments:

Post a Comment